Thursday 18 April 2013

My Take on Surrealism

This assignment required us to create a photo that mimicked surrealism. We had to layer a bunch of different photos on top of each other and use photoshop to blend them all together. After lots of experimentation, this was the result.


     This photo represents the temptation of evil, and the human desire to get away from it. To do this, I photographed my friend Vanessa crawling on the ground in various positions across the camera's viewfinder. I used a tripod to take these pictures in order to ensure that the background would never change and the photo would be as seamless as possible. I also took a picture of a devil's head to represent evil, which I would then cut out and paste into the photo. All of these pictures were taken with a Nikon D3100 DSLR camera and a 18-55mm lens, with an aperture of f4 and a shutter speed of 1/60.
     Once I had all the pictures, I moved them all into photoshop and began the process of blending them together. I used one photo of Vanessa as the picture background, and the rest of her clones were then added in over top of that. To make the picture seamless, I used the eraser tool to remove everything in the additional layers except for her body, and then dragged them into the original photo and arranged them in a straight line. It was super tedious having to erase the entire background of all the additional layers to make the final product not look choppy. To add the final devil's head I again used the eraser tool to remove the background, changed the opacity so that it was almost transparent, and positioned the head where I wanted it in the final picture. I then desaturated every layer to make them all black and white, and compressed the picture into a jpeg.
     This picture mimics surrealism in that it looks like it does't exist; it is impossible for one person to be in 5 different places at once. The devil's head is also unexpected and out of the ordinary, which adds to the surreal aspect. I really enjoyed shooting this assignment because I got to be super imaginative and also use photoshop to experiment and create an image that you wouldn't see in real life. Overall, this was a really good time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment