Thursday 11 April 2013

Mixed Lighting!!!

For this project we were supposed to experiment with using two different types of light in one picture. I thought that this was going to be pretty difficult from the beginning (hence why I saved it for last) and, as it turns out, I was right. I struggled a lot with trying to find creative ways of incorporating different kinds of light into a picture; I wanted to do more than just have a subject standing next to a window. To accomplish this task I used a lot of natural light coming from the sun because I think natural light is so pretty and always makes people look great (but it was pretty hard to find sunny days to do this with all the gross weather this week). All pictures were taken with a Nikon D3100 camera and an 18-55mm lens.

1/125, f5.6

This picture was taken using the school's ambient lighting (which is fluorescent and kind of gross by itself) as well as sunlight shining into the building from a skylight in the Devil's Pit. I wanted the natural light to soften the harshness of the overhead lights and make Jenna look super blissful and almost angelic, which I think worked pretty well. The light shines down the crown of her head and hair in a very serene way.


1/40, f4.5

To shoot this picture, I used natural light coming in from the atrium windows as well as one spotlight illuminating the right side of Jenna's face. I like how the light is angled in a way so that it just barely casts light onto her face, but enhances her hair and silhouette in a very pretty way. I also like how the background is slightly blurred, drawing more attention to the subject. 


1/125, f5.6

This final picture was also taken in the atrium, and uses the natural light shining into the building through the high windows as well as a flashlight shining directly at Jenna's face. When we were walking around the school trying to find good locations to take pictures, I found this area that had tons of natural light shining down onto it and wanted to use it to my advantage. I had Jenna sit right underneath where the light was filtering in and angle her face upwards a bit, catching the light really nicely and creating very strong shadows along her jawline. I added the flashlight in to reduce some of the harsher shadows on her face and make her face brighter.



No comments:

Post a Comment